The Civil Litigation Team provide advice and representation on behalf of the Law Officers in contentious civil, childcare, public and administrative law matters and proceedings brought by or against the States of Guernsey, the States of Alderney and the Chief Pleas of Sark and other public service clients including:
- Conducting general civil litigation before the civil courts of Guernsey, Alderney and Sark,
- Advising, when requested, on litigation (and litigation avoidance) and advising on and conducting alternative dispute resolution,
- Dealing with administrative appeals and other public law litigation in areas including planning, housing, taxation, childcare/protection, population management as well as other challenges to decisions by Government and Public Authorities,
- Appearing at statutory inquiries, e.g. planning inquiries, and before statutory tribunals such as income Tax Tribunal, the Employment and Discrimination Tribunal and the Tax on Real Property Appeals Tribunal,
- Representing the States of Guernsey, States of Alderney and Chief Pleas of Sark on appeals to the Guernsey Court of Appeal and references to judicial tribunals elsewhere, including exceptionally, the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council and the European Court of Human Rights,
- Advising on contentious subject matters including the civil enforcement of judgments and enforcement notices, e.g. in relation to planning.
- Advising on matters arising out of the regulatory work of (for example) the Guernsey Financial Services Commission and Alderney Gambling Control Commission.
- Providing training to members of Committees and other decision-making panels on procedure and other public law principles.